"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~~Thomas Jefferson

"Who will protect us from those who protect us?"

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. ~ Thomas Jefferson

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free." ~~Goethe

25 February 2012

Enhanced Castle Doctrine...

Great link over at Curtis' place regarding the "Enhanced Castle Doctrine" being proposed in Minnesota.  Go to this link to read it.

I think it should be the law of the land everywhere.  By everywhere, I mean everywhere.

We, as human beings, have the God given right to protect ourselves from whomever may be attacking us with the intent to do us harm.  A law like this Enhanced Castle Doctrine would instantly get those out of control forces who are a danger to society (under the color of law) back under control.  It would make them think before they recklessly act.  Say what you will, but you read about some unarmed citizen who is doing nothing that justifies being killed for, being killed by law enforcement in this country every week.  It seems as though a one sided war is going on against the citizens of this country and that those citizens have no choice but to submit or die.  I wish it weren't that way.  I wish I didn't feel this way.  I wish I had no cause to feel this way.

They have no more right to a safe and peaceful life than you or I do.  They have no more right to family and friends than you or I do.  They have no more right to anything than you or I do.

I want to get up and go to work tomorrow just as badly as they want to go home at the end their shift "alive and in one piece".

Of course the cops don't like it.  It changes the entire playing field by changing the rules of the game.  It puts the citizen (You know, the person whom all government is supposed to work for?  The citizen?  The individual who is the core of society and without whom society does not exist?) on a more equitable footing with law enforcement.  It gives the citizen a better opportunity to survive a "dubious" encounter with law enforcement. It seems to me that it would make law enforcement less likely to do a lot of the stupid things that they do today.  Things like "no knock" raids for petty infractions of just and unjust laws.  Things like raiding the wrong house in the middle of the night and telling the citizens occupying that house that they have no right to defend themselves against these particular intruders.  Seems kinda absurd, eh?

Erik Scott
Jose Guerena
Kelly Thomas
David Lee "Deacon" Turner
Stanley Gibson
Matthew Stewart
Todd Blair
Patricia Cook

Anyway, I see the Enhanced Castle Doctrine as being a good thing.

I don't want anyone to die needlessly and without just cause, cop or citizen.  I don't want anyone walking around this country as a target, either.

Your thoughts?

Stay safe.

5 comments:

Brock Townsend said...

NC finally got rid of the need to retreat clause last year.

Wraith said...

I can't argue with one thing you've said.

I do find it amazing that this law was even proposed in Minnesota, which(at least in the MSP)is the US epicenter of thug cops and fascist government.

Will wonders never cease?

Blue said...

I never could wrap my mind around the fact that its against the law to protect myself from a cop who's performing an illegal act.

I also cannot believe that any reasonable person can truly expect me to stand down and let them do as they please to me, even when they are wrong. To brutalize me in any way they see fit, and to say that my recourse is through the courts after the fact, assuming I survive the encounter. If I do not survive, then my family has recourse through the courts. You have no idea how comforting that is to me.

I do not know what brought us to this point. It didn't use to be this way. When I was a kid one of our neighbors, and the father of a friend and classmate, was a motorcycle officer in town. He lived two houses west of us and was heavily involved in our boyscout troop. A wonderful man who had no desire to brutalize citizens. That's how I remember police officers before the militarization of the departments. Yes, even here in my town. SWAT team, body armor, armored vehicles.

There was a time when the primary responsibility of the local cop was to counsel and talk to people. It worked. The cops were walking the streets and talking to people all the time. They don't get out of their patrol cars today.

Again, I realize that not every cop is a blood thirsty sociopath whose main goal in life is to brutalize citizens. I do truly believe that the vast majority of officers are good people trying to do the right thing. (am I naive?) I will say that I also believe that if a cop does something bad, in most cases his peers, his union, and his department will cover for him. I have a problem with that. They are not above the law.

Again, I believe that the majority are good people. I have several friends who are LEOs and every one of them seem to be good people.

On the other hand, I was assigned to an MP company in Texas for a couple of years in the mid 70s and I know without a doubt that there are some people who get off on the power.

Ahhh well.

"Can't we all just get along?"

Blue said...

Medic... I get so wound up sometimes when I post about LEOs that I know I am being unfair to thae vast majority.

Thanks for your perspective, it helps! :)

Anonymous said...

This site is an example of a bunch of blustering fools. At this point I wouldn't even try to make you understand how easily this law can be and has been misused. Sorry to the bottom of my heart, but because of your spitting out such vengeful comments I say with apology onlt to GOD for saying this "I hope YOU will be the next victim of this law. I'll be so glad to see your friend , your brother, your co-worker walk away. free. That IS what this law can do and has already done to a "good man who did not deserve it." That was said to me by one kind detective after my son's killer walked away, by saying "I felt threatened." No injuries on anyone. My son had a bullet to his neck.I apologize for the cruel way of saying something to you. Just think. Unless it's an intruding rapist, a crazy person hurting you, intruder with baseball bat, etc. This law is not so clear.