"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~~Thomas Jefferson

"Who will protect us from those who protect us?"

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. ~ Thomas Jefferson

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free." ~~Goethe

11 February 2012

Little Thunder...

I took the Remington 700 that I bought in December to the range today to shoot it for the first time and to zero the scope.  It was 20 degrees outside with a NW wind at 20 mph.  Fuckin' cold!  There was a young fellow shooting at the 25 yard range and a "brass and lead picker" at the 50 yard range, so I set up to zero a new scope cold at 100 yards.  Brutal.  Anyway, It took awhile but I got it done.  Cold.  My fingers are still cold.

I was shooting all over the place and was 12 inches low.  Took me a minute to figure it out.  I am satisfied, for now, with the end result.









Remington 700 Tactical
Cal. .223
American Eagle 55 gr. FMJ
20* F
Wind NW @ 20
100 yards

"If you can consistently place a round in a 10" circle at any given distance, you and your weapon are functioning properly.  Your goal is to place every round within that 10" circle each and every time you fire your weapon.  If you can do that you will prevail on the battlefield and will live to go home to your wives and mothers. 

You will kill your enemy before he has a chance to kill you.  That is your sworn duty."

~~SFC Pond, Senior Drill Sergeant, Company A 2nd Battalion 3rd Basic Combat Training Brigade, Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri July 1972. 

Stay safe.

5 comments:

Brock Townsend said...

Good job!

chinasyndrome said...

Yeah! Nice shooting Bro! Damn she purty..

China
III

Blue said...

I'm pleased with the rifle. I use SWFA scopes because they work. You can spend a lot more on a scope but these work great.

Damn! it was cold out there! :)

Shy Wolf said...

LOL- is that a Rosie O'Dummel target? Too funny.
Good job, BTW. Keep at it- now when you shoot in a two mph wind you can hold off a couple clicks and be right on... unless it was a zero value wind from the front or back, then, hold over or under a couple clicks... LOL (teasing ;) )
Shy III

Blue said...

Shy... You shoot dead north on that particular range. It has a 7' berm along the left (west) side which can really make things less than stable. The wind was 10-20 out of the NW yesterday (it was up and down, up and down, never anywhere near calm) so it made for some interesting shooting with a light bullet. :) My main goal yesterday was to shoot a new rifle and get a new scope close to zero. I set the turrets at the center of their travel before I left the house. I have an identical scope on my .308 and it was pretty close on that rifle so I figured it should be similar on this one. I get out and start shooting and I'm not seeing my bullet strikes. I walk downrange and I'm low. Anyway, long story short, I had my initial elevation setting one full revolution lower than center. DUH! Once I figured that out I was good. 12" low! Call me "dumbass". Ahhh well. It was good, if a bit cold.

Stay safe!